HijriDate

Sunday, January 21, 2007

One minute in my head...

So much 'wow' factors have happened over the last few days that I want to keep a memory of. Rather then go in to great detail about them all, I'll just make brief(ish) bullet point notes about them:

  • Writing in first person from a female point of view is hilarious especially if the female in question is in love - according to the boys in my class...They had to read and act out the poem the next day twas hil-ar-eous! Actually that whole day was.

  • I've started to get on with the boys!! Before whenever one of them would talk to me the rest would giggle and wisper 'you fancy miss' now that doesn't happen as much. 2 of them still go abit red when I talk to them randomly think they scared of being told 'You want to marry miss' the rest will start a converstation with me now instead of avoiding me...FINALLY.

  • Treating them like mini adults works SOOO well! Instead of saying things like ' *insert name* your still talking, this is your second warning..' I say '*insert name* look I've told you once to stop the talking you know it's rude, if you can't sit quietly go back to your seat or chose another place to sit' by giving them an option and speaking like I would with an adult they respond soooo much more better. I also say things like 'Do me a favour and hand out these books' as opposed to 'You can hand out the books because you were sat beautifully through that.' (3 WOW factors for this, seeing it work is so much more diffrent then writing about it.)

  • As I was walking down a creepy shortcut after school too meet a friend, I walked past a man taking pictures of a building and another young man. I went passed them both got half way down the creepy way and the young man ran behind me and said 'Excuse me, sorry I saw you walk down this way and just felt it was my duty as a muslim brother to tell you it's not safe to walk down here. There's another way its abit longer but its safer...' he then went on to tell me about the other way. Who says gentlemen are distinct?! (have to admit I did get abit scared when he first came up to me, suppose stereotypes have more of an impact on me then I thought!)

  • Same day as the above I had forgotten my phone. I got in to town and waited around for my friend for ages but she didn't show. I walked home and got a call turns out she had been upstairs in the library waiting for me. I felt really guilty for not going up there to check and forgetting my phone....REALLY wanted to see her to. Wow factor here? How much we (well I) rely on technology! How did I meet up with people before?! Now its set a time, when it gets closer to the time ring and find out the place or in my case ring to get directions.
  • The class assembly this week was by the year 3's about poems. Some of the poems they read were entitled 'One mintue in my head' Try this if your reading set a timer for 1 minute, now concentrate on what you think about. Once the minute is up write down what you thought about. Now turn that in to a poem. Now that you've read it through give it a try!! Here's some of the things the kids wrote: 'Why are elephants fat? Who will play with me today? I hope we have chips for dinner. Who's sat behind me? Why is America taking over? I can smell cheese' Those poems made smile it just showed how problem free their lives are alhamdulliah. I tried it but the places my thoughts went to are not waht i want to blog about!
On that last note I'll wrap it up and finish
Now on to planning how to teach fractions......