HijriDate

Monday, January 22, 2007

If you can't beat them...join them!


During assembly the year 6's sit on the benches, its an unsaid rule. Happens in almost every primary school across the country. At my school the rules have changed because the year 6's couldnt sit still and would refuse to join in with the assembly so now whichever class has earned the most assembly points (awarded for how the class enters and leaves, how much they join in etc) get to sit on the benches.

Today the year 5 class i'm teaching now and the class I taught last year won the right to sit on the benches. I was beaming with pride...even tho I had nothing to do with them earning the right but what the hey, having them respond to my stupid grin with an equally silly grin was worth looking stupid over.

As we were walking back I spoke to one of the boys from my last years class. He talked to me about Arsenal's game over the weekend and their 2-1 victory. This got me thinking maybe the boys i'm currently teaching will respond better if I have something in common with them. So being a glory seeker I am now an official Arsenal fan. I may never watch them play - live or otherwise but I WILL go out of my way to find out scores and learn players names for the sake of getting on with the class.

It did actually work the boys talked to me for alot longer with hardly ANY giggling from the boys who were not part of the convo....think i'm making progress! Still sometimes wish I had last years class but this class is growing on me and i'm really starting to like them and the baggage they come with.

Back to planning.....