HijriDate

Saturday, March 10, 2007

So many things so little time....:-(

Currently I'm supposed to be doing an assignment on speaking and listening but just remembered a line I read in a book...'You should never start something you don't intend on finishing'. With this in mind I've decided to leave the assignment for now (haven’t started it yet) and finish of the post I started afew days ago. Last Tuesday to be precise.

First day back at uni, well first day of lectures I was in uni yesterday. All through the lecture my mind kept going back to school and I kept thinking things such as 'ooo it'll be playtime now' and 'It's close to dinner wonder if **** has been exited from the class yet.' Then during a lecture (and practical) on teaching dance in PE I kept giggling to myself as I remembered some of the funny things the kids had done. Thought I'd write them down to cherish for as long as this blog lives. So in no particular order here goes:

  • There's a kid in a different class he's only been in the country a few months and is just learning English, he so unbelievably cute! He's recently learnt the word 'broccoli' and that’s all he ever says any question you ask him from doing the register to a times table question all he will say is broccoli. I ask him questions just to see him grin at me and say 'broccoli' then nod as if he's given me some really wise words of wisdom to ponder over.
  • Whilst reading 'Charlotte's Web' to the class I said the word 'pig' the majority of the class put their hands over their ears and went 'tauba tuaba'. I tried explaining it wasn't a bad word but they weren’t having any of it and kept telling me to say P-I-G instead. Just for the fun of it I read a line and said P-I-G instead of pig and then got the giggles. The kids really couldn't understand why such a serious issue was making me giggle so much.
  • We had a further education visitor in. She was there to talk to the kids about uni I have no idea as to why seeing as half of them didn't know what uni was. For one of the tasks the kids had to make a dream weaver and write about what the dreams were. A long winded activity to ask 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' Anyway the kids get on with it and we have a few doctors, some nurses, a vet, a mosque teacher and then 'Miss I want to work in McDonalds' I looked at her thinking she hadn't understood the task. 'This is for when you grow up, what do you want to do then?' Pauses for awhile and then in a serious tone if I don't work in McDonalds I want to work in WHS'
  • A boy in my class used to always dance even when he had to sit on the carpet. Whenever I told him off he would look up at me and in an american accent say 'My baaaaad!' Every time he did it I had to try so hard not laugh.